This week’s sustained freezing temperatures could wreck havoc on water pipes. Protect your pipes by:
– Opening cabinet doors under sinks adjacent to outside walls.
– Letting water drip slowly from inside faucets.
– Keep the doors shut on an attached garage if plumbing is routed through the space.
– Protect pipes that have frozen in the past
If the pipes freeze:
– Shut off the water immediately.
– Thaw slowly by applying heat with a hair dryer, space heater, or hot water.
– After thawing slowly turn water on to check for cracks and leaks.