Prevent a pipe from freezing and bursting to save your pipes, water, and property.
– Keep the indoor temperature in your home 55 degrees Fahrenheit or warmer
– Drip faucets overnight when the temperature is expected to be well below freezing. It may seem like a waste, but the moving water will prevent the pipe from freezing.
– Collect the water in a bucket to flush your toilets or water your plants.
– Securely cover exposed outdoor pipes and hose bibs with pipe insulation to prevent freeze and burst.
– Check for leaks after any thaws. Temperature changes can cause pipes to expand and contract, leading to more leaks.
– Know exactly where the main water shut-off valve is located. Turning off the water quickly after discovering a leak saves hundreds of gallons of water.