Warmer weather brings on lawn watering. Follow these tips for efficient and effective watering.
1. Water early in the morning, before 10 AM to avoid wind and evaporation from higher temperatures.
2. In ground sprinkler systems are most effective. Pulsating or tractor sprinklers are recommended for manual watering – the heavier drops drift less.
3. Soak 6 inches of soil or do the screwdriver test to determine soil moisture. Push a long-blade screwdriver straight down into the lawn. There’s adequate moisture if the blade penetrates the soil easily depth of 6 inches. If it doesn’t water a bit more.
4. Water twice a week max so the grass develops a deep healthy root system.
5. Or let it go dormant. Grass goes dormant in hot weather, just like it does in the cold of winter. Periodic watering will keep the soil moist and protect roots without killing grass, just like a spring shower or winter snow.