Avoid putting Fats, Oils, and Grease (FOGs) down the drain to prevent clogs.
Residential customers should cool and contain FOGs in leak proof containers for disposal in the trash.
City of Scottsbluff restaurants and businesses with oil traps are required to have traps cleaned once containment reaches 20% or more of capacity. Monthly maintenance is reported to the City each quarter and annual inspections by the City to check traps are conducted per City Code.
Water treatment processes makes water clean again, but some things cannot be treated or removed once they’re in the water system. Please don’t pour down a drain or flush the following:
– Pills, medications or drugs. Unused medications or drugs can be deposited in the drop boxes at either the Gering or Scottsbluff police stations. Walgreens and USave Pharmacy have drug take-back programs.
– Household chemicals or cleaning agents. Unused agents should disposed of as hazardous waste at local take-back event.
– Use the minimum amount of detergent and/or bleach when you are washing clothes or dishes. Use only phosphate free soaps and detergents.
– Minimize the use of pesticides, herbicides, fertilizers which can easily carried in water runoff.
– Motor oil or other automotive fluids. Used oil can be taken to the Gering Landfill.