1. Thaw frozen food in the refrigerator or microwave. Plan on 24 hours for each 4 to 5 pounds to thaw turkey in the fridge.
2. Rinse vegetables in a sink or basin filled with water instead of under running a faucet.
3. Do not dump fats, oils or grease down the drain. Instead bag it in plastic after it cools, tie or seal the sack securely and place it in the trash.
4. Compost kitchen waste instead of using the garbage disposal.
5. Scrape dirty dishes well, then presoak in a basin filled with water.
6. Run only full loads in the dishwasher. Or, if hand-washing, fill one basin with hot soapy water and one with hot rinse water.