Dishwashers use half the energy, one-sixth of the water and less soap than hand-washing according to research at the University of Bonn, Germany. Dishwashers beat the hand washers in both efficient water use and cleanliness level.
Need a dishwasher? Consider these tips to get the most efficient and effective:
1. Choose an ENERGY STAR dishwasher
2. Scrape food into the compost. Don’t iwaste water rinsing.
3. Choose an eco-friendly dishwasher detergent.
4. Run full loads, on the “light” cycle and turn off the “heated drying” option.
5. Repair a dishwasher before replacing it.