Good Housekeeping/Pollution Prevention
Minimum Control Measure (MCM) #6 of the Stormwater Management Plan
The purpose of this MCM is to minimize the effect of the municipality’s efforts to the contribution of stormwater pollutants into receiving waters of the state. Operations have been identified that have the greatest likelihood to cause pollution to stormwater runoff. The municipal employees, the facilitators of those operations, are educated and trained in standard operation procedures for reducing pollutants from entering the storm sewer system. Actions that are performed are noted on the City of Kearney’s website, in the Smart Maps link, or by clicking here.
Clogs from Fats, Oils, and Grease (FOG) are easily preventable:
- Don’t pour FOG down the drain
- Pour cooled fats, oils and grease into a container and put the container in the trash. If you don’t have a container, place tin foil into a coffee cup or similar, add FOG, allow to cool and dispose.
- Before washing, use a paper napkin or paper towel to wipe FOG from dishes and dispose of it in the trash
- Use sink strainers to catch food waste
- Put food scraps in the trash, not through the garbage disposal.