As temperatures start dipping into freezing range, use these tips to protect your pipes and pocket book from plumbing repairs.
1. Turn off and drain the sprinkler systems before the first hard freeze.
2. Disconnect hoses from outdoor faucets and turn off, or drain, the spigot.
3. Winterize unheated or vacant buildings to protect the pipes from freezing and bursting.
4. Insulate water pipes that are vulnerable to the cold.
5. Know the location of your water shut-off valve for your home to prevent water damage if a leak does occur.
Photo © Yury Kosourov