Use the cold weather to try some indoor water management.
1. Check for leaks and fix right away. A 1/32 inch hole can leak 6,000 gallons of water per month.
2. Install faucet aerators and low-flow shower heads to use less water without compromising flow in the bath and sinks.
3. Place a jug of water or brick in the toilet tank to displace water and use less per flush or replace the toilet with a Water Sense high-efficiency model that uses 1.28 gallons per flush or less.
4. Wash full loads, many washing machines don’t adjust for load size and run 40 or more gallons of water per cycle. Make best use of the water by washing only full loads or remember to set your machine for a lesser load, if it can be adjusted.
5. Insulate your water heater and water pipes. Check the water heater tank for an R-value of at least 24. If its not, insulating your water tank could reduce standby heat loss by 25%–45%.