Water treatment processes makes water clean again, but some things cannot be treated or removed once they’re in the water system. Please don’t pour down a drain or flush the following:
– Pills, medications or drugs. Unused medications or drugs can be deposited in the drop boxes at either the Gering or Scottsbluff police stations. Walgreens and USave Pharmacy have drug take-back programs.
– Household chemicals or cleaning agents. Unused agents should disposed of as hazardous waste at local take-back event.
– Use the minimum amount of detergent and/or bleach when you are washing clothes or dishes. Use only phosphate free soaps and detergents.
– Minimize the use of pesticides, herbicides, fertilizers which can easily carried in water runoff.
– Motor oil or other automotive fluids. Used oil can be taken to the Gering Landfill.
Photo © creativecommonsstockphotos