Heating water uses about 18 percent of a home’s energy consumption according to the Energy Department. Save money, energy, and frustration by employing these simple tips for hot water:
1. Lower the temperature and reduce the amount of energy required to keep the water hot. The Energy Department recommends 120 degrees.
2. Install pressure-compensating aerators on taps. These inexpensive devices regulate the volume of water that comes from the tap, reducing hot water demand.
3. Low-flow fixtures also reduce the demand for hot water.
4. Insulate hot water pipes to keep unused hot water warmer for longer.
5. Employ high-efficiency appliances. They use less water; therefore reducing the need to heat it.